DeWitt suggests five easy steps to social-emotional learning for school leaders.
- Greet students at the entrance—every single day.
- Use a high-quality social-emotional-learning curriculum.
- Hire more counselors and nurses.
- Offer training for teachers.
- Improve the way you interact with students.
Use the Interactive CASEL Wheel to complete this activity
- Use the CASEL Framework, specifically the CASEL 5, self-awareness, self-management, social awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision making, to outline an SEL for a school.
- If you are not currently associated with a school, use a school description listed on the National Institute for Excellence in Teaching website in the stories of success section. Find the full description of the schools under the “what sets the school apart” section of the case study. Expound on details as appropriate to complete the assignment.